How is my driving?

Thursday 28 October 2010

My first week at University.

The following was written for my course. We had to write a paragraph or two about my first week at Middlesex, good or bad. Well, seeing as we are all budding journalists, I may have complained once or twice within it. Here it is:

My first week at University was defiantly a new challenge to tackle. Having only just gotten used to the freedom of college, I found myself having to readapt to the new heights of University. Unfortunately, I did not get into any Halls and found that out too late, (a couple of weeks before I was due to attend!) and had to take a couple of trips to and from my home to desperately find a private rented place. Which was an epic fail. Instead, with my loan, I bought a reliable car to take me up and down the M25 five days a week, Monday to Friday. It’s really no great fun, unless you turn the stereo up loud and sing to yourself like I’ve been doing.
I hadn’t actually found the time during my summer holiday to walk around the campus and get a feel for it, so I had not a clue how anything worked- or even where the main reception was. I did find it all easily; the signs were conveniently placed and simple to follow.
If I were to complain, which I am about to do, it would be about the lack of fun-filled activities during the ‘Induction Week’ (more commonly known as ‘Freshers’ at other universities). I was expecting to be thrown into complete excitement, except I was let down with the sombre way in which it was all organised. It was useful in terms of important information, but I felt more could have been done to make the Freshers Fayre like the handouts suggested.
There is also the issue of fighting for a parking space. When I informed the security man that I did not get Halls and wondered how I go about getting a Permit (which I was more than willing to pay for) he informed me that there is "No parking for 1st years." and abruptly ended the conversation. Having to park in the unstable car park everyday is becoming a living nightmare and wish there were more spaces for others in my situation to use.
There was also a problem with the scheduled timetables, which messed me about as a commuter. But by checking daily on Misis and OasisPlus I managed to keep up-to-date with everything which meant I could plan my journey in advance.
Overall, I felt the University provided plenty of information about what is to be expected of us as students and what we can expect from the university, but the social element may need to take some more time to show its face.

No comments:

Post a Comment